Emily's Blog

child of God, daughter, sister, auntie, friend, and grad student

Monday, October 24, 2005

Always a ____, Never a ____...

I would like to quiz all (four) of you that read this blog to please fill in the blanks above. I know some of you think you are so smart and quickly assumed the answers to be always a "bridesmaid," never a "bride"...do you all think I would make my quiz so easy? Although those two words fit quite perfectly actually, that is not where I feel like going with this blog tonight-we will save that sappy post for later. I am feeling more reflective on another also appropriate, but not so common phrase. Actually, I made it up myself.
"Always an 'INTERN', Never a 'full-time paid employee with benefits that counts...'-long blank I know."

Today, while enjoying, of course, my third internship, I was thinking man, this is my third internship. Now, I am trying not to complain too much because I did choose this discipline, and I also know that an internship is something that probably almost all college graduates experienced one of. BUT, THREE...come on! I know that all three of these internships have taught me valuable social work, life, and reality lessons-and I am grateful I had the opportunity to pay (borrow) thousands of dollars to work for others!


I have a philosophy where I think that the social work profession requires so many hours of internship experience to prepare all members of the profession to work their tails off, with little monetary compensation in the end. I have mastered the art of an intern. I don't know how smoothly I will transition into the 'full-time paid employee' position...

I will be like, oh I don't need my check this month, how about I pay ya'll for letting me work here instead. My parents love supporting their 20 something year old master level degreed daughter-really I want to stay an intern!

Well, I will probably actually frame the checks...well, that might be considered loving money, so maybe I will frame just one;) I am sure the checks will still not be too impressive, but I will be grateful for seeing the fruits of my labor-monetarily atleast.



Aside from all my funny talk, I really think I have been so blessed to gain such powerful experience in my field before I am even really in the field. I have seen the power and faith of a small, non-profit, faith-based agency while an intern at FaithWorks in Abilene. I have witnessed the amazing family dynamics and seen the hard-working parents and precious kids while an intern at Head Start. And I am currently learning all about the inner-workings of a school district and the role of a school social worker in my internship with Aledo ISD, where I will be until May.


So, even if I am always an intern and never a full-time paid employee...I have been a social worker. God has shown me my gifts and given me strength to show His light even in an often liberal secular field. I am kind of like His intern...and that is just fine with me.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Leah said…

    I know the feeling of using a whole paycheck to pay for the education to educate little ones that will make more than I will ever see. Then I use my 2nd paycheck to buy things to educate. Oh, the cycle...
    Hang in there. The benefits are those you help and they are lucky to know you and receive your kind touch!
    Leah (I am one of Tine's friends.)

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger christine pinson said…

    you are a wonderful intern, and all of this experience is going to make you an even better social worker...i am sure it can be frustrating, but i am very proud of all your accomplishments(as usual)i can't wait to see where God leads you in this profession...it is such a wonderful opportunity for ministry and i have no doubt that He will use you to help many people.
    (and in may, when you graduate and start looking for jobs, you might just wish you were an intern again!)

     
  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger Jenna said…

    Just wanted to say hello... I love reading your blog... I have no doubt that you are a wonderful, fantastic intern...

    Love you!
    Jenna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home