Emily's Blog

child of God, daughter, sister, auntie, friend, and grad student

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Let the Little Children Come

Okay, so I know I just wrote a blog yesterday(that no one read,ha!) but here are some thoughts from my day today...

Some kids have to grow up too fast...
In my profession, you think I would have already come to terms with this reality, but I have not. Some children due to such harsh life circumstances, are forced to grow up too fast. My morning began with this reality. On the radio this morning, Kidd Kraddick(yes I still listen to him) was talking about how children even with terminal illnesses are required to grow up a little faster due to their incredible medical knowledge and such trying life experiences. Later today, at my internship, that radio thought was played out in real life. I am working with some kids "groups" with one of the school counselors. The groups I attended today were a divorce group and a grief group. Divorce...Grief...sound like grown-up problems to me!-but for the kids today, and the majority of others these problems are their childhood reality. Kids having to be "ping-ponged" between mom and dad, kids whose parents have suffered through cancer, kids that saw their daddy kill their mommy...heart-breaking...
They are just kids...babies. So, yes I once again had a reality check today, but I was also strengthened by the strength these kids showed me. It is rare today to find a kid who has not had to grow up too fast. As I think about not only the innocence of children, but the profound strength they hold as well, I can not help but think about Jesus and how He said "Let the Little Children Come to Me..." As "grown-ups," we think that Jesus' arms are justly reserved for our problems, our needs, our broken hearts, and our worries. But I think Jesus was and is extremely aware of the kids that were also handling pain, but they were handling the same pain as the grown-ups only they are kids...
So I am in prayer for the kids...some by name...and others as "kids". I know that they teach us so many lessons through their struggles, and I know that all kids-all humans-face pain. I want to enable them to see the arms of Jesus, looking past the "important people" and calling out for the kids. And even in the public school setting,(when I couldn't press the issue) I could see so many of these precious children running towards His arms. I am also in prayer for those that work with closely with these children...I pray that we may witness through are actions and may lead them to the Father.
I am not even a social worker dealing with CPS, abuse, or the cruelest of cruels...and I know we have all seen the struggles of a child-no matter our profession. I challenge us to enable them to hear Jesus calling the little children, and I also challenge us all to become like the little children as well...
May God bless them:)

5 Comments:

  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger Chelsie Sargent said…

    I too join with you in the plea for the innocents of all the "kids". Thanks for your thoughts!

    Chelsie

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Cody Blair said…

    thanks for your encouraging comment emily. as sad as it is to see what some kids are forced to deal with, your response is right on. we pray and pray some more. and we learn from them, become like them. be blessed

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger Jen said…

    i totally read your blog yesterday, and now today. i love it! hope you are doing well. i join you in your heart ache for these kids who do grow up to fast under the worst of circumstances.

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger JENNY said…

    Emily,

    I totally read your blog yesterday, too. haha! Your family seems wonderful.

    Thanks for your thoughts....My heart is sad for these kids and I pray that God will intervene in their lives and that people like you can help lead these little ones to God's unconditional love and peace.

    Jenny

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    How blessed these little ones are to have you in their lives. Even in the public school arena, they will see the love of God in you. I am so proud of you and thankful that the good Lord saw fit to let our family have you! Love, Mom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home